Transportation Supervisor Job Description – Safety & Compliance
Are you looking to level up in your career or expand on your experience in a Transportation Supervisor position with a focus on employee safety and compliance? Are you seeking out a better work environment that offers outstanding benefits and a supportive and team-driven atmosphere? If so, Ginsberg’s has an opportunity that could be right for you!
The Transportation Supervisor – Safety & Compliance, under the direction of the Transportation Manager, is responsible for the safe and efficient operation of the company’s Transportation Department in the main facility and at all domicile locations. The Transportation Supervisor – Safety & Compliance maintains a strong focus on safety compliance, including adherence to laws and policies, overseeing core safety training, and conducting observations via riding with drivers to directly observe performance.
Essential Job Requirements Includes:
- Assists with the development of departmental strategies, policies and standards that are aligned to the Company’s strategic plan.
- Coordinates and directs departmental activities consistent with established goals, objectives, and policies for employees at the main location and all domicile locations.
- Oversees the work of the departmental trainers to ensure that training objectives are met and that all employees have the necessary skills to perform their job functions safely and successfully.
- Responsible for planning and conducting safety meetings and required weekly safety training.
- Coordinates safety training and other related events with equipment leasing companies focused on improving pre and post trips.
- Ensures regular driver safety rides are being completed and conducts driver safety rides in support of the Driver Trainers. This includes audits focused on post-trip inspections, cab audits, and safety reviews as well as identifying and immediately correcting unsafe conditions or actions by employees.
- Responsible for the oversight of electronic equipment, including but not limited to in-cab cameras, ELD equipment, and handheld scanners. Ensuring required in-cab camera video training, reviews are completed and appropriate coaching to improve driving compliance.
- Conducts counseling and corrective action regarding driver infractions of rules, policies, and procedures. Then provide remedial training to drivers.
- In partnership with the Transportation Manager and the Driver Trainers, evaluate the performance of all direct-reports and create a culture of retention while addressing problem performers through retraining or coaching.
- Participates in various phases of the interviewing process concerning the recruitment of drivers and other Transportation Department staff with the ability to make offers of employment to selected qualified applicants.
- Conducts root cause analysis on all truck accident investigations and personal injury investigations, reviews actions with the employee, defines required post-incident training, and provides key takeaways at safety meetings.
- In partnership with the Transportation Supervisor – Support & Fleet Maintenance, manages the CSA score, including creating plans focused on managing leasing providers to ensure all repairs and service are performed to ensure no DOT violations or hits to CSA score.
- Partners with other Transportation leaders to ensure compliance with DOT/FMCSA regulations is achieved and maintained.
Knowledge Skills, Abilities Including:
- Strong knowledge of Federal and State rules and regulations pertaining to the transportation of goods for commerce, especially DOT regulations as set-forth by the FMCSA, including hours of service, accident reporting, and hazardous material handling.
- Working knowledge of principles, practices, and processes for providing customer and personal services.
- Working knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems, such as managing files and records.
- Strong working knowledge of tractor/trailer operations.
- Working knowledge of computer systems (i.e. Omnitracs, Retalix, NetraDyne) to be able to provide driver status updates, conduct research and handle customer service requests.
- Working knowledge of all warehouse equipment.
- Strong English language aptitude, including the ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing (including the use of texting and email) and the ability to negotiate contracts.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook, and Internet Explorer to develop and maintain spreadsheets, databases, graphs, develop and manage budgets.
- Ability to manage difficult or emotional business partner situations and respond promptly to their needs.
- Ability to learn, without assistance, third-party scheduling programs and other company-specific computer programs.
- Strong ability to read and understand maps relative to the United States as a whole but with particular emphasis on the Northeast Region.
- Ability to use logic to analyze complex problems, develop solutions, prioritize workload appropriately and effectively delegate in a fast-paced ever-changing, deadline-oriented environment.
- Ability to develop strategic business plans and contingencies and realign priorities quickly when dealing with unanticipated events.
- Ability to supervise and evaluate the work of others.
Education/ Experience (Preferred Minimum Qualification)
- Possession of an Associate’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Business Administration, Management, Logistics or related field AND five (5) years of experience in fleet logistical activities, at least two (2) years of which must have been in a team leader or supervisory capacity.
- OR Possession of a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Business Administration, Management, Logistics or related field AND three (3) years of experience in fleet logistical activities, at least two (2) years of which must have been in a team leader or supervisory capacity.
- OR At least three (3) years of experience in the company’s Transportation Department, at least one (1) year of which must have been spent as a Driver Trainer.
- Must take and pass a pre-employment drug test and be subject to random and reasonable suspicion drug testing.
- Possession of a Commercial Driver License (CDL) Class A (preferred), with three (3) years of experience driving tractor-trailers.
- Smith System Certified (or the ability to obtain certification).
- Some overnight travel may be required to support domicile locations.
Transportation Supervisor Weekly Work Schedule
- Monday – Friday with a flexible schedule: 8 am-9 am and an approximate end time of 5 pm- 7 pm.
- Must be willing to work additional hours as required or requested. Available for questions and problem resolution outside of standard business hours.
Transportation Supervisor Salary – Safety & Compliance
Transportation Supervisor salaried position that ranges from $75,000 – $80,000 annually based on a successful candidate’s level of experience.
Ginsberg’s Foods Benefits
As a family-owned and operated food service distributor since 1909 delivering restaurant supplies in New York, Massachusetts, Vermont and Connecticut. We foster a welcoming workplace culture, embracing engagement and development, and attracting, recruiting, and retaining a diverse workforce. We adhere to our core values; Respect for all people, excellent customer service, building strong relationships, and a dedicated commitment to community.
- 401(k) & Roth 401(k) savings plans with company match
- Healthcare insurance (health, dental, vision)
- Paid vacation, sick time, and holidays
- Employee assistance programs
- Company-provided life insurance
- Access to on-site Physical Therapists and Occupational Therapists
- Employee discounts in our Will Call Center
Applying is quick and easy!
If the Transportation Supervisor – Safety & Compliance seems like the right fit for you, simply answer a few short questions and, if you meet the requirements stated above, our Recruiter will give you a call! Visit our career for a list of the current job openings at Ginsberg’s Foods.